Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Who is the real bully for an allergic child?

Perhaps it's the caretakers that are more potent to your allergic child than other children.  I was on the playground with my daughter the other day and we were playing in the sandbox.  I noticed an older woman in that same sandbox with us with two children. Who knows, she may have been either their grandmother or a nanny.  She took hard boiled eggs out and was feeding the younger child the eggs right in the sand pit. Him being a toddler he kept running away from her and she walked around chasing him.

First of all, you don't feed a kid in the sandpit, just a matter of courtesy to keep the sand clean. Secondly, when I saw that she was feeding him an egg, my "internal alarm" went off. Even though my daughter is allergic to egg white, she has no issues with egg white contact when it is fully cooked. She can also consume small traces of it as long as it is baked.  She is lucky in that respect, however, not all children are. Some children have issues with contact and consumption of both raw and cooked egg.

So I politely reached out to the woman and said that perhaps it is best for her to feed her child outside the sandbox, perhaps on the bench since there are children with severe egg allergies.  Her response: "children let's go, don't play with that little girl over there". She said it loud enough for my daughter to hear. How poisonous is that comment. As they say, don't exclude the child, exclude the food and I'd add out of the sandpit. Especially that my daughter has to deal with a lot of "no we can't eat this" all the time already and now she hears another adult telling her children "don't play with her".  My blood boiled hearing this, but I just rolled my eyes, I didn't think it was worth giving this woman a lecture on child psychology or dive into the fact that I was more concerned of other children in this case, not necessarily my own, e.t.c. she was probably a bully herself when she was a young kid....I'm just disturbed by the lack of sensitivity coming from a grown up and the example she's setting for the kids she raises. Of course, the older girl was completely confused why her caretaker told her not to play with my daughter. So not to make the situation more awkward I got my daughter to go with me and dig for some treasures with other kids in the sandpit.

Children imitate what they see, let us try to live up to the expectations we set for them....

No comments:

Post a Comment