Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Simple Joys of Life

It is amazing how when you're faced with feeding an allergic child and you yourself have no dietary restrictions, you're initially in a panic of "what am I going to feed them so that they'll actually enjoy the food?!" I have to note that I am a foodie. But then as you educate yourself, you realize that one can have just as much variety of tasty meals and treats as a person without allergies. And it comes with a bonus - they are much healthier!

Recently our daughter turned three and for her third birthday, I decided to surprise her with a very special treat. A rich Chocolate Cake.  She currently has the following food allergies: dairy, egg white, nuts and seeds, and legumes. So initially one might wonder, how you make a rich chocolate cake without things like cream and butter e.t.c. and especially the frosting?!

I have to say a huge thank you to the minimalist baker for giving me pretty much the whole recipe that I just had to slightly modify:

http://minimalistbaker.com/one-bowl-vegan-chocolate-cake/

The only thing I swapped out was Soy milk (next time I'll do Coconut milk) for the Almond Breeze that they have in their original recipe.  It was absolutely one of the best chocolate cakes I've had and all of the family and friends that tried it at the party were simply shocked that it was allergen free!


No comments:

Post a Comment